The SRPC mentorship program is a pilot program that aims to connect medical students to rural physicians and residents from across the country to allow career exploration, guidance and increased understanding of the scope of rural practice.
- Connecting students to rural physicians across Canada
- Career exploration and guidance
- Increase understanding of the scope of rural practice
- Provide learning opportunities outside of the formal academic environment
- Contribute to the current and growing need of rural physicians in Canada
Your Role As a Mentor
As a mentor with SRPC, medical students will connect with you through the SRPC office manager. Once you are connected, there will be flexibility in how you set up your mentor-mentee relationships, which can be tailored on an individual basis. This may include answering a few quick questions, setting up a longitudinal mentorship plan, or organizing shadowing experiences (public health guidelines permitting).
Expectations in your role as a mentor may include:
- Sharing experiences of rural practice with mentees for the purpose of career exploration and guidance
- Being honest and open regarding the rewards/challenges to rural medicine
- Forming a plan and setting expectations with your mentee regarding frequency of meetings and meeting platform to be used
- Sharing appropriate resources
- Recognizing that advice given, while extremely valuable, does not substitute for MD program-specific mentorship and supports
If you are looking for a Rural Mentor. Please ensure your SRPC membership is up to date. Send your email request to Louise for a list of mentors and instructions. (firstname.lastname@example.org)
* By registering as a mentor for this program, you consent to allowing the SRPC to share the information you have provided to mentees that register for the program. As a mentor, you may contact the SRPC at any time and have your name removed.
** Mentors must be SRPC members to participate in this program.
Mentees Must be SRPC members to participate in this program. (Join here)