The 28th Annual Rural and Remote Medicine Course
2020 Conference theme: ‘Rural Physician Advocacy – How to Save the World in Your Spare Time’
Save the date. Join us in the Nation's Capital Ottawa, Ontario.
April 23 - 25, 2020
R&R 2020 will be hosted at the SHAW CENTRE down town Ottawa. #SRPC2020More than 190 sessions, small group sessions, hands-on workshops and Rural Critical Care modules. A family-friendly (day care included) collegial atmosphere.
What people have said about past R&R Conferences:
- It's hard to decide which sessions to go to with so many good choices.
- As a student it gave me an idea of the challenges facing rural docs today.
- Relevant peer teaching!
- Enjoy meeting old friends and colleagues and making new connections.
- The child care was excellent!
- SRPC Staff Excellent, friendly, and welcoming as usual.
- Each year it gets better.
"The main draw is the opportunity to come together once a year to share current trends in rural healthcare and rural medical education. When these two topics come together during the discussions collaboratively - it is truly energizing!! The passion of rural medicine/family medicine as a generalist within the established physicians now intermingling with the topics of newly graduated/practicing physicians and their families is an exciting synergy." - Anonymous Review from R&R 2018 in St. Johns NL
SRPC Members have reduced rates and priority in small sessions.
Become a SRPC Member Today
CALL FOR ABSTRACTS • HOTEL / TRAVEL/ TRANSFERS / TOURISM • ADD ON COURSE • SOCIALS • FAMILY • AWARDS AND ESSAY/POSTER CONTEST • EXHIBITOR / SPONSOR / RECRUITERS • CANCELLATION POLICY
Call for Abstracts RURAL AND REMOTE 2020
Register your abstract, suggest a topic, refer a colleague or let us know that you'd like to be considered as a speaker at the R&R 2020 event
REGISTER YOUR ABSTRACT
Room blocks (discounted rates) - Check in as early as March 30th and Check out as late as April 10th at your choice at these two locations. Reservations online must be made prior to March 22th, 2020. After March 23th call hotel direct to see if they still have rooms.
Fairmont Château LaurierNovotel Ottawa City Centre
(290m - 4 min walk to Shaw Centre) Room rates start at $229
1 Rideau Street
Ottawa, ON K1N 8S7
Book by phone - Call 1-800-441-1414 - booking code SRPC0420
Online Booking here
(400m - 6 min walk to Shaw Centre) Room rates start at $189
33 Nicholas Street
Ottawa, ON K1N 9M7
Book by phone - Call 613-230-3033 or 1-855-677-3033 - booking code 739454
Online Booking here
Use discount code, JZ9VHFA1 to book online visit aircanada.com and enter the promotion code in the search panel.
- The booking is to be made to the following city: Ottawa, YOW (ON)
- The travel period begins Monday, April 13, 2020 and ends Saturday, May 02, 2020.
- No discount will apply to Tango bookings for travel within Canada or between Canada and the U.S. For International travel (destinations outside North America), discounts apply to all fares including Tango.
Use discount code Q54YU10 To book online please visit www.westjet.com/conventions
Offer: 5% off Econo* and 10% off EconoFlex and Premium fares for travel within Canada and 2% off Econo*, 5% off EconoFlex and 10% off Premium base fares for guests travelling Trans-border into and out of Ottawa.
A 10% discount on available base fares (with the exception of the lowest class fare during a public seat sale) for travel to and from the The 28th Annual Rural and Remote Medicine Course. The discounted fares and promo code are available for booking flights starting Oct 21, 2019 to Apr 25, 2020 and available for travel:
Location: To and from anywhere in Canada or US to Ottawa.
Dates of Travel: From Apr 20, 2020 To Apr 26, 2020
Please book online at or through your travel agent using promo code “MEDI20”.
- VALID: April 13th 2020 to April 29th 2020
- From all stations throughout the VIA system to Ottawa and return.
- Fare applies to a maximum of two passengers per booking.
- One complimentary stopover is allowed at no additional charge.
- For travel on all fare plans in Business class, the first stopover is allowed at no additional charge, provided that this stopover takes place in Toronto, Montréal or Ottawa only.
- 10% off the best available fare in Economy, Economy Plus, Business, Business Plus, Sleeper class. "Subject to the conditions and restrictions of the fare plan to which the additional discount is being applied."
- Discount does not apply in any Escape fares and Prestige Class.
BOOKING: Participants must reference the event’s VIA convention discount code: 13995. Book Online here
From Ottawa International Airport (YOW) You have a few options to get down town.
Bus : $3.50, 25 minute ride + 7-10 min walk
Private transportation/Taxi : approx $30.00
Making R&R a family trip or a couples getaway? Start planning now. Show your conference badge to any of the participating businesses and receive VIP offers designed exclusively for attendees and their companions. Discover Ottawa and surrounding areas.
Add On Courses
More info to come in the fall.
Here you will find the links to register for add on courses.
*Registration for add on courses are managed by the course provider. Cancellation policy are set by them.
Optional - Social events will be announced in the Fall
*Regular rate tickets help keep cost lower for students and residents.
- Please visit our SRPC Family/Partner Page
- Childcare : Free on site during conference hours
- Non Medical Partner : Registration $143.75
You will be able to add your child/children to the childcare list when registration opens. Or you can add them later by sending an email request to email@example.com
Please include their Name/Age/Allergies and provide contact name/cellphone number.
We are happy to add your non medical partner to your registration ($) so they can join you for meals and plenaries. If your partner is an allied health professional we recommend that they join as an SRPC Associate Member and register on their own. (Same rate as the students.)
Awards and Essay/Poster Contest
The SRPC feels it is important to provide recognition to persons or organizations that have made a significant contribution to rural medicine in Canada. Awards will be presented at the Annual Rural and Remote Medicine Course Awards ceremony in Ottawa Ontario on the evening of Friday April 24th 2020.
Visit our awards page for all the information needed to prepare your nominations. All applications must be received by Friday January 31, 2020.
Exception: RSA, RLSA, FRRMS, Lifetime. Members MUST be registered no later than Monday March 23rd.
- Poster proposals must include a clear research purpose, objectives, methodology, summary of the research results and conclusion. Posters will be judged on rural relevance, research methodology, impact, clarity of presentation and ability to answer questions regarding your research. Posters are restricted to a width of 4 feet and height of 3 feet.
- Deadline for submission is January 07, 2020
- Students and residents will each have the opportunity of being awarded for the best student/resident research poster. Winners will win the equivalent of $500 credited towards attending the conference. [More info online]
Print Essay/Poster contest flyer
Each year the Nominations and Awards Committee hosts a rural essay contest for medical students and residents. The winners' essay will also be considered for publication in the CJRM.
- Students and Residents must be a member of the SRPC
- Essay should be between 500-1000 words.
- Deadline is Dec 31st 2019
- Prize: $500 (students) and $1000 (residents)
- Student: Non-fiction essay with rural elective theme.
- Residents: Non-fiction essay about rural experience.
- To apply: Forward your essay to firstname.lastname@example.org [More info online]
Sponsor Prospectus (Available in the fall)
Exhibitor / Sponsor (Registration will open in the fall)
For more information or to add your name to the contact list please email Louise Ardern - email@example.com
All event cancellations must be made in writing by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Full Refund (less $75 admin fee) will be granted if notification is received by March 4th.
- 50% refund will be granted for cancellations made between March 5th and March 21st OR Full amount (less $75 admin fee) as credit on your account to be used on future invoices. (event, membership or donations)
- Refunds will not be granted after March 21st. Full amount (less $75 admin fee) as credit on your account to be used on future invoices. (event, membership or donations)
- Deposits are non refundable but are transferable to SRPC Membership or Donations
- Social tickets are non refundable but may be donated to a student or resident.
- Pending registrations are considered as "planning to attend" or "Pay Later". Please inform us as soon as possible if your plans have changed and if you are no longer able to attend and we will cancel your registration.