Georgian Bay General Hospital (GBGH), is located in the Southern Georgian Bay community of Midland, Ontario (90 minutes north of Toronto). This beautiful community is nestled on the shores of Georgian Bay. Midland offers an environment where a healthy work/life balance is easy to achieve. We are considered the gateway to the world famous 30,000 islands of Georgian Bay. This four-season community embraces a Georgian Bay lifestyle of summer activities such as boating, sailing, hiking, and golf with winter sports such a cross-country and downhill skiing, snowshoeing, snowmobiling, hockey, and curling. Catchment area of over 55,000 annual residents and summer population of 200,000.
We are an active rural academic training site with multiple Medical Schools in Ontario. Our community and hospital is affiliated with the University of Toronto, as home to the U of T Rural Family Medicine program. We are also a partner with the Northern Ontario School of Medicine, as one of the main communities for the Comprehensive Community Clerkship (3rd year) program. We in addition, have medical students, PA students and resident electives through the Rural Ontario Medical Program.
Georgian Bay General Hospital is seeking 3 FTE Emergency Physicians. The Emergency Room physician is expected to work 12-15 scheduled shifts in the Emergency Department (ED). The schedule is generally provided 3 months in advance with a mix of day, afternoon, evening, and night shifts. There is some accommodation to allow scheduling preferences, however shifts are distributed fairly across all team members.
We are funded through an Alternative Funding Agreement (AFA) with the Ministry of Health and the Physician Group. Consultation is provided by in house General Surgery, Anesthesia and Internal Medicine/ICU. There is a regional call program or Criticall (provincial acute care triage and transfer service) for other specialties.
- See and assess patients in a busy ED with a focus on patients’ safety and flow. Lead resuscitation for presenting patients, perform procedures such as sedation, reduction of fractures, lacerations, minor procedures relevant to emergency medicine.
- Provision of Emergency Department on-call funded separately through HOCC (Hospital On-Call) for on- call coverage.
- The ER physician may be requested to attend codes in the hospital pending the arrival of the MRP.
Administrative and Quality:
- Participation in ongoing quality improvement and safety activities related to Emergency care.
- Participation in hospital committees pertaining to specialty based on interests
- Alternative Funding Agreement (AFA)
- Fee for Service
- HOCC for on-call
Details of the remuneration can be discussed with the Chief of Staff and/or Department Chief at the time of the interview (if selected).
- Independent Practice Registration with the College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario (CPSO) unrestricted license, that allows the physician to fulfill the requirements of this position.
- Fellowship in Emergency Medicine through the CFPC (Family Medicine route) or the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (RCPSC) specializing in Emergency Medicine. Candidates with extensive experience in high volume and high acuity EDs will also be considered.
- EM Trained/Specialty – New Grads welcome
- Non-EM trained – Minimum of 3 years in high volume/high acuity setting
- ACLS, PALS and ATLS certification- Demonstrate competency in resuscitation principles.
- Preference will be given to candidates who have completed the CCFP–EM designation, FRCP-EM or ABEM Board Certified. Experienced ED physicians will also be considered.
- Demonstrate commitment to continued professional and personal growth and development through Continuing Education Programs and Self-Directed Learning opportunities.
- Eligibility for CPSO Licence in good standing
- For US Based Physicians, the hospital may provide support in attaining a CPSO licence under their existing guidelines and provide the necessary mentorship requirements in exchange for a 2.0/1.0 ratio. (2 years of service for 1 year of mentorship). We cannot provide immigration services/assistance at this time.
All job offers will require compliance with our COVID-19 Vaccination Policy for proof of full vaccination unless provided with a medical exemption or an accommodation under the Ontario Human Rights Code
To learn more about our hospital and community, contact:
Shannon Laurin, Office of the Chief of Staff: firstname.lastname@example.org
or Dr. Ralhan, email@example.com
Georgian Bay General Hospital
"Exceptional Care, Every Person, Every Time"
(705) 526-1300 ext. 5642
(Ad will be posted until Wednesday March 23, 2022)